donderdag, december 17, 2009

Vaticaan bevestigt ontslag Limmerick Donal Murray

RTE news

In a statement today Dr Murray said that he had taken time to study the Murphy Report before coming to his decision.

The bishop had spent ten days with officials in the Vatican this month as he weighed up his future.

He said: 'I know full well that my resignation cannot undo the pain that survivors of abuse have suffered in the past and continue to suffer each day.

'I humbly apologise once again to all who were abused as little children. To all survivors of abuse, I repeat that my primary concern is to assist in every way that I can on their journey towards finding closure and serenity.

'I asked the Holy Father to allow me to resign and to appoint a new bishop to the diocese because I believe that my presence will create difficulties for some of the survivors who must have first place in our thoughts and prayers.'

The statement confirmed that Bishop Murray he had met the Congregation of Bishops in Rome on 7 December and there it was decided that his letter of resignation should be presented to the Pope.

The Pope accepted the resignation on Monday but it was agreed that Bishop Murray should return to Limerick to allow him be in his diocese when the announcement was made.

Bishop Murray apologised in person to massgoers in St John's Cathedral in Limerick.

Abuse survivor Andrew Madden said he welcomed Bishop Murray's resignation.

He said the Murphy Report had shown that Bishop Murray had been a part of a church structure which had facilitated child abuse.

Mr Madden said he was also calling for the other four bishops criticised in the Murphy Report, to also resign from their positions.




“Let my last words as Bishop of Limerick be those I spoke in St. Joseph's on 29th November last: ‘We are people who believe that God’s mercy and God’s
healing are without limit. We are meant to be bearers of that hope to one
another and especially to people whose trust was betrayed when they were just
little children and who endured the terror, helplessness and suffering inflicted
by a frightening and dominant adult. They should always have a special place in
our prayers’."

Donal Murray, 17-12-2009

Geen opmerkingen: