dinsdag, juli 17, 2007

Rechter akkoord met deal over kerkelijk seksueel misbruik aartsbisdom LA

Judge approves LA archdiocese clergy sex abuse settlement
By Gillian Flaccus, Associated Press Writer
Article Launched: 07/16/2007 11:50:19 AM PDT

LOS ANGELES - A judge on Monday approved a landmark $660 million settlement between the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles and more than 500 alleged victims of clergy abuse.

The deal was formally approved in a dramatic hearing marked by the sobs of victims and their attorneys, and a moment of silence for those victims who died during the years of negotiations.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Haley Fromholz said, "This is the right result."
"Settling the cases was the right thing to do and it was done by dint of a number of extremely talented and dedicated people putting in an awful lot of time."

The deal came after more than five years of negotiations and is by far the largest payout by any diocese since the clergy abuse scandal emerged in Boston in 2002. The amount averages a little more than $1.3 million per plaintiff, although individual payouts will vary according to the severity and duration of the abuse.

Cardinal Roger Mahony, the head of the archdiocese, sat through the hearing but did not speak. He issued an apology on Sunday after the settlement was announced.


Ray Boucher, lead plaintiffs' attorney for alleged victims, asked his clients to stand during the hearing and thanked them for their resolve and their courage.


Boucher said, struggling to hold back tears, "It's their courage and commitment that made this possible and I think they deserve a tremendous debt of gratitude."



"I know it's hard for most of the victims whose scars are very deep ... and I know many will never forgive the cardinal. But he took steps that I think that only he could take and if left to the lawyers and others in the church he would not have settled this case."

The attorney for the archdiocese, Michael Hennigan, also appeared emotional as he told the court that his views of clergy sexual abuse changed dramatically during the years he spent trying to hammer out an agreement. He said private meetings with 70 of the plaintiffs made the most impact.
"It changed us all and it changed our perspective on what's happened here."

I'd like to say that the church would have been reformed without these cases, but I don't know that's true," he said.
"These cases have forever reformed the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. It will never be the same."

Dozens of the alleged victims gathered outside the courthouse to talk about the settlement.
Steve Sanchez said, "I hope that I'm no longer an `alleged' victim, 660 million should take that alleged off. Cardinal Mahony got off cheap today."
Mary Ferrell said she was abused for two years beginning in 1956 by a priest at Mary Star of the Sea parish in San Pedro.
Ferrell said she never imagined she would be talking about it in a public square.
"When I was 7, I didn't tell anyone," she said. "I didn't know what he'd done to me and I didn't have the terms. I was totally alone and I carried it with me for all these years."
Ferrell said because of the abuse she has spent a lifetime battling with alcoholism and drug abuse.
"I isolate myself because it's the only place I feel safe. Having met all these other victims it's like they're my brothers and sisters," she said.

In his apology, Mahony spoke about the plaintiffs. "There really is no way to go back and give them that innocence that was taken from them. The one thing I wish I could give the victims ... I cannot."

Geen opmerkingen: